Purging negativities to grab a hold on my sanity.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Introducing Oneself: The Creative Way

Introducing yourself. Getting to know your classmates. Drawing your self-representation. These are usually done during first days of each class.

However, some of our professors get a little bit... creative.

During our first day for our EDUC102 (Theories and Principles of Learning) class, my professor instrcuted us to do a visual representations of ourselves. However, we need to use a triangle in doing so. She argued that having that kind of restriction will help the students to be creative.

Usually, for this kind of exercise, I have my standard self-representation which is a mirror. Mirror because I reflect the attitude of the person I am with - not reflect in the sense of I will copy his/her attitude, but in the sense of I can adapt and be flexible towards the other person's attitudes and mood swings.
Because we need to use a triangle, I need to think of something else. After minutes of deliberation, I came up with this:



The long thread that represents freedom, because I live faraway from my parents, residing in an apartment near my university. The persons holding the thread are my parents, giving me the support I need even though I'm faraway, holding me in line wherever I want to go. The triangle is a small, but integral piece connecting me to my parents. Lastly, I represented myself as the balloon, always flying and soaring, but is ready to burst anytime.

Indeed, the subconscious mind is truly powerful. I have said the aforementioned reasons in a whim, just to have something to say because it was my turn to explain. However, after analyzing, I realized that somehow... the balloon representation of myself is a lot better than my standard mirror. It fits perfectly, capturing my innermost thoughts about my strength and weaknesses I've never given much thought about before.

My other classmates have drawn a slice of pizza (she says she loves to eat so a pizza's the first thought that came to mind), a chick (it was cute how she used the beak as her triangle!, I forgot her explanation though), an arrow (pointing to the left because he's an activist and and upward to represent being progressive), a tree (because she's strong and resilient), among many more.

It was indeed a nice way. and a creative one at that. So, using a triangle, what's your visual representation of yourself?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© 2013 A Cathartic Journal, All Rights Reserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena. Powered by Blogger.